We were hoping to have another Mega Trip in 2018. After all, the last one was in 2014 and we were longing for another extended trip.
Sadly, it was not to be for 2018. But that didn’t stop us from planning a shorter trip – complete with a TransAtlantic cruise – just at the right time to celebrate Geoff’s birthday.
Although this trip may not be considered “short” by some standards, it felt that way for us. We would be traveling for less than a month – unusual for our trips.
Here is our itinerary. We’ll go into more detail on individual blog posts.
- May 3 – Drive to Thunder Bay. Stay at the Valhalla Inn.
- May 4 – Fly from Thunder Bay (YQT) to Toronto (YYZ) to Atlanta (ATL) to San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJO). We’ll explain why there were so many flights on that post.
- May 4-7 – Howard Johnson’s in San Juan
- May 6-20 – Onboard Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas from San Juan to Rome. More about all the ports of call on individual blog posts.
- May 20-21 – B&B just outside of Rome.
- May 21 – Flight from Rome to Lisbon, Portugal
- May 21-23 – B&B in Belém just outside of Lisbon
- May 23 – Flight from Lisbon to Toronto
- May 23 – Days Inn in Toronto
- May 24 – Flight from Toronto to Thunder Bay – picked up car and drove home
As you can see, the trip was just barely over three weeks, so we couldn’t call it a Mega Trip.
However, it was a great way to celebrate Geoff’s Birthday. We were on Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands for his birthday on May 14th.